Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A Few Do's and Don'ts
Our team at SERVPRO of Whittier is available 24/7/365, even during the holiday season to help you after a fire. The winter holiday season has an increase in potential fire risks because of Christmas decoration hazards and kitchen fires. Our team has the expertise, knowledge and advanced equipment to help you through any fire damage in your home or business, and we will work with your insurance company for you.
While you wait for our emergency restoration services, read below for a few tips to get you started on the fire damage cleaning and restoration process.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (562) 698-5368
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.