If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (562) 698-5368

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Why Mold Smells and How To Prevent It

9/2/2020 (Permalink)

Woman covering her nose while looking at wall with black mold A musty smell might indicate there is mold in your building

That musty smell that is lingering in your back office might not be the best thing for your business in South Whittier, CA. Compounds such as mycotoxin that are released by mold growth are what cause this smell. If you have noticed a moldy aroma in your commercial building lately, read on to learn why mold smells and how you can prevent it from growing in your business.

Why Does Mold Smell?

Molds can produce potent compounds that they release into the air. One of these compounds, mycotoxin, is particularly well-known because it has a strong and unpleasant smell that can produce the musty odor generally associated with mold. If you notice this smell, it is generally an indication that mold is in your building. Remember, mold inside of a building is never good, and you should remove the growth as soon as possible. If it is extensive, you may have to have mold remediation performed on your building. Be sure to hire qualified professionals for this task since removing mold is no easy task.

How Can It Be Prevented?
The key to preventing mold is to control the moisture levels in your building. Be sure to perform regular maintenance on your office space to excess moisture inside. This may include:

  • Fixing leaking plumbing
  • Ensuring your roof is sealed
  • Monitoring flooding on ground levels
  • Maintaining a dehumidifier

When any offices or items within them get wet, you need to dry them within a day or two to stop mold from growing. Any absorbent materials will need to be thrown away and replaced. If you already have mold in certain areas, you need to remove it immediately and get rid of excess moisture. This can generally be done with a light detergent and a good scrub brush.
If you have noticed a musty smell in your office building, it is likely related to compounds, such as mycotoxin, that is released by mold growth. You can prevent mold from growing in your building through regular maintenance, drying any areas or items that get wet, and removing visible mold growth immediately.

Other News

View Recent Posts